Monday, May 30, 2011

My Latest Adventures in School

I feel like it has been forever since I had some time to myself to relax, read, blog, or even think! And I now have time because school is officially over for this year. And what a busy and wonderful month May has been. We’ve had field trips, reading parties, award assemblies, and my new favorite: ABC Day. And no, it actually doesn’t celebrate the alphabet! ABC is an acronym that stands for Amazing Biome Celebration! Or in other words….Habitat Day!!!

We decided to go beyond simply teaching the kids about animals and their habitats in our own classroom. Instead, we not only taught them, but also had a whole day dedicated to celebrating the different habitats around our earth. On ABC day, each class would rotate to a different 2nd classroom every half an hour to be immersed in that habitat. Here are the 7 habitats that we focused on:

1. Caves

DSC_0190

First we have my classroom!

I think we did a great job if I don’t mind saying so myself.

DSC_0194DSC_0197 DSC_0196

DSC_0191 DSC_0192 DSC_0193

 

2. Rainforest

DSC_0198

My Good Friend Kathy teaches this class. They also did a great job and she had a lot of amazing facts about the rainforest as well. Such as, did you know that Amazon River Dolphins are actually a pink color and eat piranhas!?!

 

DSC_0203 DSC_0205 DSC_0204

DSC_0200 DSC_0201 DSC_0202

3. Oceans

DSC_0207

My kids had so much fun learning about oceans this year. Thanks to that habitat they learned words like bioluminescent.

 

4. The Teton Mountains

(Our Famous Mountain Peaks!)

DSC_0208

My good friend Avrey and her class but together this beautiful scene. I just love the great job the kids did on the animals. Feels like Yellowstone Park :) I just wish some of my pics weren’t so shady and overlapped…

DSC_0213 DSC_0209

DSC_0212 DSC_0211 DSC_0210

 

5. Idaho

DSC_0214

I’m going to admit, I wasn’t sure if this teacher was going to participate or not. So super glad that he did! In his class the kids actually made a stop-time animation of a forest growing!

 

6. Deserts

DSC_0218

In Connie’s class the class actually got to try real cactus! It was great having the kids try foods from each of the habitats.

 

DSC_0217 DSC_0219 DSC_0220

 

7. Polar Regions (North and South!)

DSC_0221

I LOVED how Rhona used blue cellophane plastic to make the water so you could still see the animals in the ocean and the iceberg beneath the surface.

DSC_0222 DSC_0223

 

Can you understand why it was so much fun! I have loved this year so much. It was sad to have it end already. I really had the best class I’ve had yet. We learned so much and had a good thing going for us. It was also sad for me to end the year because the two teachers I’m closest with are leaving as well. One is moving to Utah and another is having a baby :) Exciting and amazing how life changes.

I’m already excited for this coming school year. I’ve already started my planning of how to make things even better. I’m reading tons of books and generating lots of ideas. I can’t wait. It will be different because I’ll have a giant class of 27 kids instead of 20 kids…but it will work out!

Enjoy the summer and plan on reading a lot more from me as well!!!

-Amanda

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your post.... you're right it was great to do this!! I LOVED this past year!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hurray for posts. Thank looks like so much fun.

    ReplyDelete