Maybe it’s the fact that we have received storm after storm this week and have ended up with over a foot of snow, or maybe it’s the fact that I’m surrounded by snowflakes…but I’ve got them on my mind!
1. Snowflakes We Made on Thanksgiving
Anytime we spend Thanksgiving with the Meikle Family, we always have some wonderful kind of craft to make! This year the main craft was beaded snowflakes made out of pipe cleaner and of course, beads!
2. The Snowflake Ornament Landon Gave Me
Every year since the year he proposed to me, Landon gives me an ornament on or very close to Thanksgiving day. This tradition started with his proposal which was on the day after Thanksgiving. He told me that he wanted to give me an ornament for our future Christmas tree together because he wanted to start a tradition for just the two of us. He then pulled an ornament box out of his coat pocket. I was actually disappointed because I was really hoping it was a ring instead. But then he said he wanted to spend many more Christmases together and other mushy love stuff. During this time he pulled off the lid of the ornament box and presented me with our first ornament which is a beautiful gold Idaho Falls Temple with my engagement/wedding ring placed around the spire. (We were standing in front of the IF temple and that was the temple that we both wanted to be married in as well.) Of course I said yes, and the rest is history! Each year he buys me a beautiful ornament for our tree as a reminder of his promise and the tradition we have together. This year it was this beautiful snowflake ornament.
3. Snowflake Wooden Ornaments
The other day while I was at Michael’s Craft Store, I found some cute wooden snowflake ornaments for less then a dollar each! I couldn’t pass up the fact that I could add even more beauty to my tree and help me keep my crafty streak going!
4. My Mother’s Snowflake Ornaments
And speaking of snowflake ornaments, it reminded me of some of my favorite snowflakes growing up. My mom had made some amazing crochet lace snowflakes while I was really little to save on decorating costs. They are still some of my most favorite ornaments on her tree. I bought a book on how to crochet my own, but I still need to learn how to read the instructions! Alas, another year, another project.
5. Other Inspired Snowflake Creations…
And all this talk of snowflakes made me wonder what other fabulous things have been invented because of snow?
Stories, Ballet, Movies, Costumes
(This is a scene from The Snow Queen Ballet, written from the fairy tale: The Snow Queen by Hans Christian Andersen.)
Weddings, Jewelry, And for my most favorite….
Shoes!!!
6. Snowflake Madness
Wouldn’t you say another word for madness could be obsession? Or even passion? Well I’d like to finish and dedicate this post to the man who probably was the world’s most inspired and passionate person about snowflakes. His name was Wilson A. Bentley. And from his teenage years in the 1880’s until his death in 1931 from pneumonia, ‘Snowflake Bentley’ as he was know, captured over 5,000 pictures of individual snowflakes with his cameras. He was the first of his kind to discover and invent ways to take pictures of snowflakes without the flakes melting or becoming destroyed. I love reading the book' ‘Snowflake Bentley’ to my kids every January and to share with them his story. I hope I can find that kind of passion and dedication of my own in life some day. Maybe my love for Landon counts! For more reading about Bentley see wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowflake_Bentley
I love snowflakes too. They make me so happy. They are peaceful and graceful and unique.
ReplyDelete